Central Mesabi Medical Foundation Awards Scholarships
The Central Mesabi Medical Foundation Scholarship Committee (Pat Ives - committee chair, Dr. Kimberly Bigelow, Andy Borland, Mike Fredeen, David Hohl, and Marty Hnatko) is pleased to announce the scholarship recipients for the 2017-2018 academic year:
Dr. Bill Kotonias Dental Scholarship - Andy Aldrich. Andy is a second year dental student at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and previously attended the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities and Hibbing Community College. Over the past summer, Andy participated in cleft palate research at the University of California-San Francisco’s Department of Pediatric Dentistry. Andy receives this scholarship through the benevolence of Dr. Bill Kotonias, a Twin Cities dentist and native of Hibbing, who founded this scholarship in 2015.
Max and Sara Edelstein Scholarship – Michelle Patregnani. Michelle is a first-year medical student attending the University of Minnesota-Duluth School of Medicine. She previously attended the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks. Michelle hopes to pursue a specialty in family or emergency medicine. The Edelstein Scholarship was established to honor the memory and legacy of Hibbing philanthropists, Max and Sara Edelstein, and continues to be funded through the generosity of the Edelsteins' daughter, Mrs. Jean Schore.
Health Care Career Scholarships – Made possible through the kind generosity of Fairview Range employees and individual donors, the Health Care Career Scholarships are awarded to students majoring in health-related careers.
- Courtney Wirtanen – Courtney is a first-year medical student attending the University of Minnesota- Duluth School of Medicine. Courtney completed her undergraduate studies at UMD and also attended Hibbing Community College. Upon completion of her studies, Courtney hopes to return to the Iron Range to practice medicine.
- Brianna Zunich – Brianna is a second-year student at the University of Minnesota-Duluth College of Pharmacy. She previously attended the University of Minnesota Duluth, where she graduated summa cum laude in May 2016.
- Melissa Erickson – Melissa is finishing her final year at the University of Minnesota-Duluth School of Pharmacy and will receive her Doctor of Pharmacy Degree in May 2018. Melissa previously attended the University of Minnesota-Duluth and Hibbing Community College. Melissa’s goal is to return to Hibbing to pursue employment as a pharmacist.
- Valerie Gooden – Valerie is a sophomore student at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities pursuing her Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree. Her future goal is to become a nurse anesthetist.
- Sarah Fairbanks – Sarah is in her junior year at the College of Saint Scholastica studying nursing. Sarah was previously a student at Hibbing Community College.
- Janelle Shea – Janelle is a senior at the University of North Dakota pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. Her future goal is to attend graduate school to become a nurse practitioner.
For more information about scholarship opportunities or how you can help support the efforts of the CMMF, please contact Susan Degnan, Central Mesabi Medical Foundation Director, at 312-3034 or email@example.com.
Share This Page: